Sunday, February 13, 2011

I'll See Your Flu Germs...And Raise You An Immunity Boosting Smoothie!

Now that you have seen the sick boy that I was with all week you may be asking yourself, "Wow...how did you not get sick too???"  Well, it would just be rude of me not to tell you.  The answer is in the smoothie.  How can a smoothie have such super human powers??? Because you cover up the nasty taste of that healthy crap with sugary fruity goodness!  Have any of you ever tried liquid echinacea?  Gag me with a rag...that stuff is just plain nasty!  And, how many of us truly enjoy the taste of raw kale?  Sure, there may be some freaks of nature out there that dig on eating raw greens for fun, but I am not one them.  So, in order to down all of the good things that my insides love and my taste buds despise I blended them together with lots of citrus, berries, and frozen yogurt.


For some reason this smoothie can sometimes have a bit of a gray color to it, but I swear on my love for bacon that it always tastes delicious!  So, trust me on this one, and if you feel a bit of sick in the air give this thing a try!  In a blender, dump 1 tbs. of flaxseed meal, 1 tbs. of Trader Joe's Very Green Powder ( it has all sorts of goodies in it, like wheatgrass, barleygrass and almost every other type of grass that is legal in the U.S.), and one dropper full of liquid echinacea.  Now, the rest of the ingredients I don't really measure.  I usually just eyeball what sounds good at the time, but for recipe purposes I will try to guess at what they would be, roughly.  Add one banana, one handful of fresh blueberries, one handful of fresh red grapes, one scoop of frozen pineapple, one scoop of frozen mango, one scoop of frozen kale or frozen greens blend, one scoop of frozen strawberries, 2 scoops of frozen berry medley, one scoop of nonfat plain frozen yogurt and enough orange juice or juice of choice to fill up to about 3/4 of the blender's contents.  Puree that baby and chug, chug, chug!  You can hear the screams of a thousand germs dying as you get down to the bottom.  Now build up that immune system and fight off those cranky microbials!

3 comments:

  1. If you are swearing on your love for bacon...it must be true! It sounds and looks delish! I just can't believe you called Doyle a cranky microbial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When he is sick he is definitely a cranky microbial!!!! We miss you guys, damn it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh! I am big on green smoothies. Spinach, apple, bananas, and lemon! Taste a little green? Sure. But you can almost feel yourself getting healthier...

    ReplyDelete