Monday, January 23, 2012

What on Earth Were You Leeking!?!?!?

Why, Hello my fellow foodies!  Boy, oh boy, do I have a treat for you!  Now, we all love potato and leek soup, correct!?  Who doesn't?  And, why wouldn't they considering that it usually is dripping with bacon (and the grease) and cream?  Now, what if I told you that I had a recipe that was just as delicious and completely meat and dairy free?  You'd be stoked, right?  Well, if not, you should be!  This means that it has all of the nutritional benefits without any artery clogging, cancer-causing, zit-bearing, mood-altering ingredients.  Just nutritious and wholesome goodness in each bowl!  And, I'll even give you a radish, asparagus and broccolini salad to boot!  So, now that I am in the giving mood, here we go!

Leek & Potato Soup

3 large or 5 small leeks, dark green parts cut off and cut into quarter moons
1 lb. red potatoes, quartered and roughly diced
4 ribs of celery, diced
2 carrots, diced
4 cloves garlic, smashed
6 c. vegetable stock ( to make an amazing vegetable stock just put into a pot; the green tops of the leeks that you just cut off, 1 bunch of green onion, one bunch of parsley, one red onion cut in half, four cloves garlic, one lemon cut in half or one apple cut in half, 2 sprigs of thyme, 2 sprigs of rosemary and 2 bay leaves and let simmer for at least 2 hours)
salt and pepper to taste



Now, the most amazing thing about this soup is that it is the easiest thing in the entire world to make!  All you do, literally, is through all of the ingredients into a soup pot, except for the stock, with a bit of grape seed oil and saute until the veggies are translucent, the leek begin to get creamy and the potatoes start to cook through.  Then, add the stock and bring to a boil.  Turn down to a simmer, cover, and cook for 45 minutes to an hour. Take your hand held blender and cream the soup.  Serve and eat up right away.  IN fact, this soup was gobbled up before I could even take a final photo, so you know it is damn good!  

Next on our list today is our Radish, Asparagus and Broccolini Salad.

12 spears of asparagus cut on a slant into 1 1/1 in. pieces
8 sprigs of broccolini, trimmed and cut into bite sized pieces
grapeseed oil
salt

4 red radishes, halved and thinly sliced
zest of 1 lemon

juice of one lemon
4 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbs. red pepper flake
1/4 c. pine nuts
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 red onion, minced
2 pinches of salt
pepper to taste



Cut up the asparagus and broccolini and set aside.  Then cut up the radishes and zest the lemon and set aside in a small bowl.  Then, combine the lemon juice, olive oil, red pepper flake, red onion, garlic, pine nuts, salt and pepper in a small bowl and whisk together, set aside.



In a frying pan, heat up 2 tbsp. of grape seed oil over med/high heat.  Once heated, add the asparagus and broccolini.  Stir to coat and then cook, covered, for 1-2 minutes.  Lift the lid and toss. If needed cook for an additional 1-2 minutes. but just enough to blanch and change the color of the veggies to a bright green.  Once this is achieved, remove from heat and add the radishes and lemon zest, toss.  Now, add the dressing and toss again. Serve immediately.  




This salad is absolutely delicious, but one thing for everyone making it to keep in mind is that it does not save super well.  The flavor does change and the veggies do get a bit soggier.  You may want to adjust the portions to what you think you might eat that night.  This recipe should yield about 4 servings.

Alright, my friends, I hope you enjoy eating these tasty dishes as much as I enjoyed making them!

5 comments:

  1. where did you find those radishes? they looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't they gorgeous!? They were at the Ferry Building Farmer's Market this past Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, how is the new eating lifestyle going so far? Your potato leek soup looks great and a definite favorite of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its going really well! I would be a dirty liar if I said that I don't get random urges to eat a brick of cheese, but I have been sticking to my goal and feel great! My feet and knees are hurting me less than they used to, my hair and skin look awesome, I don't PMS nearly as bad as before, and I've lost about 10 lbs. so far! They only down side is the smelly detox part, but I think I am starting to stink a little less!? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy, I must confess that this is my first visit to your blog and it's the weirdest thing...I just finished a homemade bowl of potato and leek soup and was on Dom's blog, saw the link to your blog, clicked on it and end up on your potato and leek soup post. WTF??? Less than a minute after I finished my bowl. How do these things happen???? I'm going to check out your blog now. Looks good.

    ReplyDelete