Wednesday, November 17, 2010

That Ain't No Rat Makin' My Ratatouille!



You've got to love a dish where the most expensive ingredient is the bell pepper!  Ratatouille was considered a "peasant's dish" from Provence...probably because in 2010 it still only cost about $8 to make.  Now, I am the carnivore of carnivores, however, I will not shun a decent vegetarian meal when I come across one.  One onion and about 5 cloves of garlic were diced and thrown into a pan with a little bit of olive oil.  After the onions sweat (thank you Mike for the technical terminology) and turn translucent add three diced bell peppers and cook for an additional five minutes.  Add one diced eggplant and cook for an additional two minutes.  Throw in about 5 diced tomatoes (you can remove the skins, but I leave them on out of sheer laziness), two bay leaves, two diced zucchini and about a tsp. of chopped thyme (fresh!) and cook for an additional 15 minutes.  Who knew vegetables would taste so good!?!?  This is going to be a regular in our house even though it is sans animal by-products.  However, it would be pretty good with some ground beef thrown in there...I'm just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment