Sunday, December 12, 2010

I Quiche I May, I Quiche I Might, Have This Quiche I Baked Tonight!

Did you know that the quiche originated in Germany?  Who'd of thunk it?  The word quiche actually comes from the German word "Kuchen", meaning cake.  Now I am not the most in touch with my heritage, but when I think German I think of the three B's: beer, bratwursts, and more beer.  Well, don't let those Germans fool you...they definitely have a thing or two up their culinary lederhosen.  I would have never guessed that aside from all of the sauerkraut and potatoes there were wonderful little pies filled with cheesey eggy goodness.



I decided to begin my quiche-ing endeavors with a roasted zucchini and leek quiche.  Man, oh man, was it...what's the right word...scrum-diddle-ee-icious!  I apologize, I will never use a Rachel Ray-ish word to describe food again!  To begin, pre-heat your oven to 425 degrees.  Thinly slice 2 zucchini, 2 leeks, and 2 stalks of celery.  Put them in a large bowl and toss with a drizzle of olive oil, a pinch of salt and some fresh cracked pepper.  Pour the vegetables on a lined baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes.  In the meantime, beat together three eggs, about 1/2 cup of milk and one tbs. of dijon mustard.  Once the veggies are done combine them with the egg mixture, about a half cup of grated swiss or cheddar cheese and 3 tbs. of diced chives.  Pour your mixture into a thawed whole wheat pie crust (once again...I am not a baker...if you want homemade crusts you are on your own).  Bake in the oven for about 30-35 minutes.

Have fun with this recipe!  Feel free to use any type of cheese, herbs, or vegetables that happen to sound fantastic to your little German taste buds!  Experiment, experiment, experiment...happy quiche-ings my fellow dairy eaters!

2 comments:

  1. This was absolutely delicious! I made a few changes and it still turned out great:
    Added 2 large kale leaves, thinly sliced
    1 sting cheese, grated ;) (seriously, it's all I had)
    Lightly greased pan, I didn't have the crust
    I forgot the mustard, but I'm sure this will be something I make on a regular basis so there is always next week!

    ReplyDelete