Monday, December 6, 2010

Is That a Banana in your Muffin, or Are You Just Happy to See Me?



Now I am not a baker by any means...I always manage to mix up baking soda and baking powder, or attempt to bump up the heat so things will cook faster.  No matter how many times I try I never learn my lessons.  To me baking is like a chemistry experiment.  Something that has to be followed to a tee in detail so that the correct outcome occurs...boring!  That said, these muffins were amazing and easy to make.  Even I will be baking these babies again.  In the very near future, in fact, because my boyfriend ate five of them within the first fifteen minutes that they were out of the oven.  Whole wheat bulgar muffins with banana and cinnamon...I know, I know, they sound terrible.  Oh how they were the exact opposite, my little baking friends!

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.  In a large mixing bowl combine 1 1/2 c. whole wheat pastry flour, 4 tbsp. sugar, 2 tbsp. cinnamon, 4 tsp. baking powder and 1/2 tsp. salt.  In a separate bowl lightly beat one egg, then add 1 c. milk, 1 tbsp. vanilla extract and 3 tbs. canola oil.  Add the liquid mixture to the dry mixture along with 3/4 c. of cooked bulgar wheat.  Once all ingredients are moist add 3 VERY ripe bananas (I usually put mine in the freezer and then thaw them about 20 minutes before I am going to use them...they are easier to mash and the flavor is much for dominant) and mix together.  Be sure not to over mix!  Fill greased or lined muffin tins 3/4 of the way full (about 1/4 cup).  Bake for 15-20 minutes.  You should get about 18 muffins.

If you live with loved ones or roommates be sure to set aside a secret stash for yourself before the others have a chance to gobble all of them up!

No comments:

Post a Comment